Ready for a little trip to Mexico?
First of all as the title already implies: this is not a standard breakfast bowl with yoghurt or based on fruit. I know what you are thinking right now: beans for breakfast? Oh yes! These last couple of weeks I developed an obsession with beans. I tried to mix them into all my meals. Call me crazy, beans I like you! Last summer at a beach club I had this breakfast called : Huevos Rancheros and consisted of some toast with eggs, avocado and some beans in tomato sauce. It was love at first sight and a true eyeopener when it comes to the newest trend: adding vegetables to your breakfast.
Breakfast recipes with vegetables are very new to me. The idea of greens for breakfast did not seem that bad at all since that breakfast at the beach. This idea kept stuck in my mind, so there was only one thing to do: Let’s get the Mexican vibes into the kitchen and create a perfect breakfast bowl.
In my Mexican bowl it is all about the beans. Beans are rich of fiber and protein. A perfect way to fill your belly and super easy to make. I choose for one fried egg and some warmed tomatoes to the side. You can use any kind of herbs you like to mix with your beans. I choose for spicy herbs to give them a Mexican taste. It is also really delicious with some toast or avocado. Just get started in the kitchen and you will create your own breakfast bowl in no time!
Do you eat greens for breakfast?
Mexican breakfast bowl
Greens for breakfast is always a good idea.
- 1 medium egg
- 50 g kidney beans
- 50 g chickpeas
- 50 g navy beans
- 50 g small tomatoes
- some herbs
- pinch of sea salt
- some olive oil to coat your pan
- Step 1 Preheat your pan over medium heat and brush it with a little bit of olive oil.
- Step 2 Drain the beans, mix them in a bowl with the herbs you like and stir them in the pan evenly. Add the small tomatoes into the pan if you want them to be warmed.
- Step 3 Then fry in another pan your egg.
- Step 4 Finally, put the beans in a bowl and add the fried egg and tomatoes. You are ready to go!